Média English
Incinerator could be operational by fall 2009
by Wilbur Mclean, Equity Editor, The Equity, 2008-07-23

PONTIAC • More details about a proposed incinerator for Pontiac were revealed in the last week and organizers are hopeful the facility will be built and operational by fall of 2009.

A proposed site has already been chosen for the incinerator on the seventh line in Shawville near the current Shawville trench dump, according to municipal politicians and between 30 and 35 local jobs would be created, almost all of which would remain local.

“We’d like to give as much back to the community as possible,” said John Keyuk, the project’s promoter, who spoke with THE EQUITY Monday evening.

“These aren’t minimum wage jobs, either. This is solid employment.”
Besides the municipalities of Shawville and Clarendon that were organizing the project as was reported in THE EQUITY last week, the Municipality of Pontiac and their mayor, Eddie McCann, have also been part of the partnership.

Planners are currently considering what capacity the incinerator should be.
A 100-tonne per day capacity was being considered but Clarendon Mayor Jack Lang said that may be downgraded to a 40-tonne per day facility, which would likely satisfy the needs of MRC Pontiac and the Municipality of Pontiac.

Lang estimated the MRC produces 20,000 tonnes of garbage per year.
According to Keyuk, the facility would be “a number of acres” in size but inoffensive visually. “Somebody driving by who didn’t know what it was would never guess what was going on inside.”

A partnership with some municipalities in the Ontario portion of the Ottawa Valley was being discussed, but provincial regulations would not allow garbage to pass from one province to the other.

“The primary thing is to make sure it serves Pontiac County and the Municipality of Pontiac,” said McCann. “It has to be structured to serve us.”

The entire project would cost between $35 million and $50 million, which would be paid for entirely by the promoter.

Keyuk said he was eager to host public meetings, “hopefully within the next 60 days” to speak with local residents about the project.

Typically the longest delay in a project of this type are the environmental assessments that must be undertaken provincially.
When asked if his company had been in touch with provincial officials regarding environmental requirements yet, Keyuk said, “We’re working on that.”

<< Retour
  Droit d'auteur © 2006 Coalition contre le mégadépotoir de Danford. Tous droits réservés.